The Top 5 Spa Treatments to Banish Stress
April is National Stress Awareness Month so it’s the perfect time to go on a wellness getaway. When you’re looking to go beyond the destination spa or standard yoga retreat check out these escapes designed to bring out the zen and banish any Type A tendencies you have.
Elephants have long been a place in ancient ritual and meditation for both the Brahmin and local Buddhist traditions due to their calm nature, rhythmic pace and unhurried breath. At the Golden Triangle, guests can experience a different spa and relaxation practice, atop a trusted elephant. ‘Asana’ postures and breathing techniques encourage the body’s vital flow of energy and circulation to improve, alongside a wealth of flexibility, strengthening, and realignment benefits. Prices are $276 per couple and include:
- Leisurely trek through the resort’s bamboo forest
- Visit to the tranquil yoga Sala at the Baby Elephant Camp
- An hour long yoga class
Signature Cedar Enzyme Bath & Wrap at the Osmosis Day Spa Sanctuary – Sonoma County, California
If you’re looking for one of the most unusual spa treatments you can try this is it. It’s the only place in the U.S. that you can do a cedar bath. Yes, quite literally you are in a bath of cedar chips. I did this a few years ago and my biggest memory of it was how hot cedar can get. The therapist came by a few times to hold my water cup and wipe my brow with a cool towel. The payoff is an increase in circulation and metabolism that immediately reduces tension and fatigue, improves skin tone, provides relief from aches and pains, and improves digestion. An April distress package is $99 for one person and $89 for two or more persons, and includes:
- Tea in the Japanese Garden
- Signature Cedar Enzyme Bath
- Hemi-Sync sound Therapy session in a private blanket wrap room.
Thermal Experience at the Spa Du Verger at Hotel La Ferme – Quebec, Canada
Spa du Verger offers sublime experiences for rejuvenating the senses, where visitors can find moments of pure tranquility. The spa’s massages range from Swedish, shiatsu, and hot shells along with the popular thermal experiences. The thermal experiences are available daily, without a spa treatment, with rates starting at $35 for adults and $15 for kids aged 6 to 15. The experience includes choices from:
- Snow Fountain— Prepares fine crushed ice to rub on the body after hot sequences.
- Hot and Cold Outdoor Pools— Set at 102°F and 53°F
- Nordic Shower— Set at 46°F with a 14” shower head
- Finnish Sauna— Includes a large window overlooking the fields where the sheep cavort
- Eucalyptus Steam Room— Features a semi-circular layout and glass-ceramic surfaces
- Shaded canopied outdoor massage and relaxation areas
Drift to Sleep at the Ritz Carlton Naples – Naples, Florida
This specialized journey is designed to help release physical and mental energy by promoting sleep at a deep state of sub-consciousness. The ultimate relaxation therapy is designed for an over-active mind or sleep-deprived individual who has trouble falling asleep – and staying asleep. Rates are $240 for 80 minutes or $295 for 110 minutes and include:
- Aromatherapy milk bath or relaxing foot scrub and soak
- Warm body massage with aromatherapy oils
- 20-minute nap on a calming feather duvet
Siam 2482 Signature Massage at the Anatara Siam—Bangkok, Thailand
B.E.2482 was the year that the country changed its name from Siam to Thailand. To commemorate this signature massage was developed around this number by including:
- 2: Two bamboo sticks
- 4: The treatment consists of four massages – Thai massage, Bamboo massage, Thai Herbal compress massage, Foot Reflexology massage
- 8: Eight pieces of indigo compress balls
- 2: Two gold leaves placed on the wish area
One of the three principles of The Travel Diet is feeding your spirit and taking time to destress and relax is a key component of that. Let National Stress Awareness Month motivate you to become more mindful, balanced and zen by taking what you learn traveling back into your real life.