One of my favorite childhood dishes Mom made was a twice baked potato that was so decadent that it was reserved for holidays. Here recipe guru Sarah Eikner shows me how to make this Travel Diet Style by reducing calories, fat and taking out any dairy and gluten. The result is the Travel Diet Recipe for Vegan Twice Baked Potatoes. Dig in!
- 4 Average Sized Russet Potatoes
- Olive Oil (enough to drizzle over your potatoes prior to baking)
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- 1 wheel Kite Hill Soft Fresh Truffle Dill & Chive Almond “Cheese”
- 1 cup unsweetened original almond milk
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread (or any other vegan butter substitute)
- Fresh Chives (for garnish)
- Pre-heat oven to 400°
- Meanwhile, wash and dry potatoes.
- Poke holes in them with a fork, drizzle and rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place potatoes on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow the potatoes to cool enough to cut into. Do not turn off your oven.
- Cut a piece from the top leaving enough potato on each side to create your “shell”. (Make sure if you removed a chunk of potato to reserve that for your filling)
- Scoop out the cooked potato leaving about ¼ of “shell” keeping the scooped out potato in a large bowl.
- Add the “cheese”, almond milk and vegan spread to the bowl with the potato and mash it with a masher or hand mixer. (Note: due to the ingredients of the almond “cheese” it will not completely melt but once cooked it will be similar to a slightly lumpy mashed potato)
- Refill your potatoes (they can be filled to the top and likely you will have a little extra filling left) and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh chives.